You feel that your employer has treated you unfairly or may even have wrongfully terminated you. What is your next step? You want to find a good Tennessee Employment Law Attorney to evaluate your case, but you don’t even know what you should look for in a lawyer. Here is a short list of things you’ll want to consider:
1. Knowledge and Expertise. Employment cases can be very complicated. You may call a lawyer because you feel you’ve been treated unfairly, and the lawyer may find other violations you haven’t even considered. For that reason, it’s important to find a lawyer who focuses on this area of law. Just like doctors, lawyers have specialties. Look for a lawyer with a background in cases like yours.
2. Belief in your case. Your case is important to you. It should be important to your attorney, too. Choose someone who understands the outcome you are seeking and who believes you have a strong case.
3. Likeability. Believe it or not, you’ll be spending a lot of time with your lawyer so you want someone you like. You’ll need to follow the advice of your lawyer at every step, so make sure that it is someone you feel you can trust.
4. Fee structure. Make sure you find out from the beginning how the attorney will get paid. Most employment cases are done on a contingency basis, which means your lawyer takes a percentage out of your recovery. Many cases provide that if you win, the employer has to pay your attorneys’ fees. The lawyer should explain how it works in your first conversation.
5. Experience. Find out if your lawyer has a track record of success in matters like yours. Ask the lawyer for references or even a list of cases where she has been successful. Make sure the lawyer has handled cases in front of the court or agency where your case will be heard. Knowledge of procedure is just as important as knowledge of the law.