In Tennessee and in several other states all over the United States, workers’ compensation claims can be difficult and time consuming, however, sometimes deciding if you do in fact need a Tennessee Workers’ Compensation attorney and choosing the right one can be even more difficult and even confusing for many employees. As with any process though there are questions to ask yourself and I will discuss what these questions are and then how to go about choosing an attorney that is right for you if it is determined that you do need one.
When you have been injured while on the job and are deciding whether or not to hire an attorney, you need to determine if any of these are true of your injury:
• Your work-related injury is severe enough that you need surgery • Your work-related injury is moderate to severe (If you or your doctor determine that your health will not return to the condition it was in before the injury, you may be eligible for “permanent partial disability” compensation)
• You think that you are no longer able to work on a regular basis doing any job
• You think you can no longer work at your current job but think you may be able to have some job • You already have major pre-existing disabilities
• You would like to challenge a decision previously made by your employer, your employer’s insurance company, or Tennessee’s workers’ comp division regarding your workers’ compensation claim.
• You think that you are not receiving the benefits that you should be or think that there might be more benefits that you could receive • Your benefits have been denied • Your employer has challenged a decision by Tennessee’s workers’ compensation division • You do not understand the workers’ compensation process and would feel better if an expert were handling your case
If any of these factors are true regarding your work-related injury, you should speak with a Tennessee Workers’ Compensation attorney; however, now that you have determined that you need an attorney, you may be confused or unsure about how to go about choosing the right one for you. Following these simple guidelines may help make the process easier and less confusing for you.
These guidelines are:
• Talk to people who have hired a Tennessee Workers’ Compensation attorney and see if they were satisfied with their experience. Also, make sure the attorney has a good reputation in the community • Consider how much experience the attorney has had with Workers’ Compensation cases • Interview possible attorneys and ask them questions. Make sure that you feel comfortable and confident about their ability to handle your case
These guidelines will not only help you to determine if you need a Tennessee workers’ compensation attorney but will help you choose the one that is right for you and your case.